We are pleased to announce a return to racing, albeit on a smaller scale to previously. After much negotiation by Ciska and her CSA team, the government has allowed us to resume racing under strict conditions.
To kick start the return to racing, we are planning on holding a criterium series at Killarney. While things are still in the planning phase, we envisage holding 3 or even 4 individual events each on 3 Sundays in August, with start times staggered so that each event is separated from the others. This is so that we can stay within the 50 participant limits that have been set by CSA. The date of the first event will be 2 August and the other 2 dates will be confirmed as soon as we get approval from Killarney
For cyclists to participate, there are certain protocols that need to be followed. We may not have covered every aspect at this stage as we are still learning to manage the requirements as we go along.
- All participants need to hold a valid CSA membership or full racing license.
- Preference will be given to members of WPCA affiliated clubs.
- At this stage, we can only offer racing to the senior categories and U19’s.
- Ladies entering will be entered into Cat 3 unless permission is requested and granted from the road commissioner to ride in another category.
- There are to be no spectators at these events.
- Entries will only be taken and paid for online. There will be NO on the day entries or payment.
- When entering online, you will be required to fill out a medical questionnaire. Please ensure that this is answered correctly and in its entirety. We do not want to put any of our participants or event staff at risk of exposure to COVID-19.
- All events are restricted to 50 participants. If any of the races are over subscribed, we will endeavour to place the additional people into other races, however we cannot promise that this will be possible.
- Entry into an event will be on a first come, first served basis, however payment for the race entry needs to be done within 2 hours of the entry to secure your place. If this is not done, your entry will fall away and the place open up for other participants.
- Each participant will be sent details via email of confirmation of their entry, category entered, time of their race and earliest time that they are allowed to arrive at the venue for their race.
- We cannot allow the different event participants to become spectators at the preceding or following events. Once your race is over you will be required to leave the venue immediately.
- On race day, you will arrive at the entrance designated on your entry, no earlier than the time specified. From this entrance you will be directed to a holding area where your temperature will be taken before you proceed to registration.
- At registration you will be required to show your WPCA 2020 race number so that your barcode can be scanned.
- From registration you will be allowed through to the race track, where you can do your warm up. Only people who have been through the pre-screening will be allowed in the race area.
- Upon completion of your race please leave the venue as soon as possible.
- Results will be posted online within 24 hours.
We realise that the regulations surrounding our races are tough but in these times we cannot afford to be lax in our approach to managing the environment around our races. As we will be the first cycling related events to take place since lockdown we need to ensure that the risk to all people involved is kept to an absolute minimum.
Full details of each set of races will be published in the next few days. In the meantime please go to our Facebook page and take part in the poll relating to this – click here
Preference will be given to members of WPCA affiliated clubs
Any queries relating to the above are to be sent to [email protected]