Contact For Queries: [email protected]
Cross Country Marathon (XCM) MTB racing is a form of Cross-Country cycling in which participants race for a distance of typically between 10km and 100km. The routes do no not involve laps. The focus is on endurance and the levels of mountain biking skills required, depend on the distance and terrain of each race.
Western Province (WP) / Cape Winelands Mountain Bike (MTB) Cross Country Marathon (XCM) Series 2018
The Western Province Mountain Bike Commission is pleased to announce the details of the 2018 Western Province/Cape Winelands MTB XCM Series. These events will also be the basis of qualification for Western Province and Cape Winelands (Regional) MTB Cross Country Marathon Colours.
The following four events will form part of the official Western Province (WP) and Cape Winelands Regional XCM Series:
- 14 July: Nissan Trailseeker, Oak Valley Grabouw – SA Champs
- 18 August: Nissan Trailseeker, Wellington
- 26 August: PPA Tiletoria Elgin Valley MTB
- 16 September: Fedhealth MTB Boschendal
Register for the Series if you answer YES to any of the following questions:
- Do you take your marathon cycling seriously?
- Do you want to know where you stand in relation to other Western Cape Cyclists?
- Do you want to know where you stand in relation to your age group?
- Do you want to earn Regional XCM Colours?
- Do you want to earn Provincial XCM Colours?
Registration to the 2018 XCM Series Log is Free, but you need to register to be included.
Detailed information on each event can be found on the event organizer’s websites:
WP / Cape Winelands XCM Regional Series Points System:
- Series three best results of four or more events to count
- Top twenty positions per category to be given points
- For regional colours we apply the UCI MTB points system to each race
- A win receives 200, and then it goes down on a sliding scale 170, 150, 135, 125, 120, 115, 110, 105, 100, 96, 92, 88, 84, 80, 76, 72, 68, 64, 60
- Each rider’s top three result points are then added together
Qualification for regional colours through the WP/Cape Winelands Regional Series Log:
- Less than five participants per category – only first place qualifies
- Less than ten participants per category – only first and second to qualify
- Ten and greater than ten participants per category – top three to qualify
Qualification for Regional Colours through the Western Cape Provincial Champs: Thys du Toit Memorial Hopefield MTB Challenge on 1 September 2018 in Hopefield, West Coast:
- Individuals finishing in first (1st), second (2nd) or third (3rd) place at the Western Cape XCM Championships who have not qualified through the WP/Cape Winelands regional XCM series will qualify for Western Province/Cape Winelands XCM Colours only in the event that the race has a minimum of five participants. Participation in at least one WP/Cape Winelands XCM Series race is a pre-requisite.
- Individuals finishing in first (1st) place at the Western Cape XCM Championships who have not qualified through the WP/Cape Winelands XCM Series will qualify for Western Province / Cape Winelands XCM Colours only in the event that the race has fewer than five participants. Participation in at least one WP/Cape Winelands XCM Series race is a pre-requisite.
Qualification for Regional Colours through the SA National Champs: Nissan Trailseeker Race on 14 July 2018 at Oak Valley in Grabouw, Overberg:
- Individuals finishing in first (1st), second (2nd) or third (3rd) place at the SA National XCM Championships who have not qualified through the first five (5) criteria will qualify for WP/Cape Winelands XCM Colours only in the event that the race has a minimum of five participants.
- Individuals finishing in first (1st) place at the SA National XCM Championships who have not qualified through the first six (6) criteria will qualify for WP/Cape Winelands XCM Colours only in the event that the race has fewer than five participants.
Cyclists are advised to send their provincial XCM champs and national XCM champs results if it is applicable. Please email it to [email protected].
Should any objection be raised as to the inclusion of a rider not included during an evaluation of the parameters above, the final decision by exception rests with the EXCO.
Please note the following:
- No individual can qualify for regional colours without a Cycling South Africa (CSA) license. Juniors and Elites are required to have domestic racing licenses.
- Any rider who wishes to be eligible for colours will be required to register for the XCM Series by 30 June 2018. REGISTER HERE
- Please use the same name spelling to enter events and to register for the Series Log. Please ensure that your ID number is correct on all entry sites to ensure that we can gather event results into the Series Log.
- Colours are not awarded at any of the events.
- Colours will be awarded at a specific awards ceremony after the final results have been obtained and calculated.
- No rider under 19 may compete in the Full marathon race as per Cycling South Africa (CSA) rules.
- Parents are encouraged not to ride with children U/10 (Nippers) and U/12 (Sprogs) that have registered for the series and interfere in any way with the race outcome. There will be 2-3 marshals riding with these two age categories. Not all riders have parents that participate, and we are trying to create an environment that encourages fairness and growth. These marshals will assist the riders with technical problems with their bicycles en route.
- If a parent is found assisting a rider in any way that influences the result outcome, that rider should be reported to the Chief Commissaire (Race Referee).
- Parents may not ride with children U/14 (Sub-Juniors) and upwards that have registered for the XCM Series under any circumstances.
- Any rider who considers he/she has been prejudiced by any action during the competition may submit a protest to the Chief Commissaire after he/she has crossed the finish line. The rider must submit the protest in writing and it must be signed and presented within 15 minutes of the end of his/her race along with the minimum fee of R200 to the Chief Commissaire.
- Please make sure that you enter for the correct distance as per your age category. See the schedule below:
The Age Categories and Distances are as Follows:
Should you have any queries, please email [email protected].
Venue Location: https://goo.gl/maps/myEJJPiDch12
The area flaunts a diverse array of world-class mountain biking trails catering for all levels of riders. With panoramic views of vineyards surrounded by majestic mountains on the foot of Groenlandberg. The Oak Valley routes have claimed their fame from the Wines to Whales and the Cape Epic and need no introduction, but exciting new additions to the routes will ensure a memorable time on the bike for all. This family-friendly event caters for all levels of skill and fitness. Riders can choose between 10km, 20km, 40km, 70km and 90km routes on offer. The new addition of a trail run series on the Sunday gives families a great weekend out to enjoy the outdoors.
Event Date: 14 July 2018
Distance/Classes: Elite 90km; Marathon: 70km; Half Marathon 40km; Fun Race 20km; Fun Ride 10km
CSA: YES – Day license and racing license verification
Visit the Nissan Trailseeker website to ENTER and check out the ROUTES.
The Nissan Trailseeker Series Grabouw SA XCM Champs in the Western Cape is a Proudly CSA Sanctioned race.
Advendurance is committed to support the regional, provincial and national cycling federations to further their cycling administration and endeavours by continuing to contribute a rider levy of R10 per rider (This is paid by Advendurance).
In order for the cycling federations to further their cycling administration and endeavours we will need to support the Western Province Cycling Association to collect R35 day licenses from the cyclists that do not have Cycling SA membership.
These cyclists’ contributions will in turn put the federation in a better position to support cycling development and service delivery in the Western Cape cycling events. The Day-license is designed to allow the newcomers of the sport to participate within the rules and regulations. Participants without a “membership of Cycling SA” will be charged R35 on top of the entry fee at registration and it will be valid for the race day.
Cyclists are assured that the event adheres to all the regulatory requirements that include public liability cover and health and safety requirements.
Cyclists holding racing licenses may compete for provincial and national colors in their age groups.
Sanctioned events will ensure a chief commissaire is appointed that is responsible for the overall competition; supervises the start arrangements; the officials; the results and any dispute service .
Frequently asked Questions and Answers
- Do I need a Cycling SA Membership to enter online?
No but you will be charged a R35 day license fee, if you are competing in the SA XCM Champs for colours you will need to purchase a Cycling SA membership and add your license number to your profile in order for us to allocate and verify the membership
- Do I need a Cycling SA Racing Licence to enter online?
Yes if you wish to compete for provincial and national colours: Junior and Elite participants competing for colours need Cycling SA Membership and Racing Licences.
- How much is a Cycling SA membership?
R250 plus a provincial levy which varies between R25 to R75.
- How much is a Cycling SA Racing Licence?
- Can I enter with a Day Licence if I am a Junior or Elite Participant?
Yes, but you will not be eligible for a national or provincial ranking or colours. You will still be on the event results, and qualify for the Nissan Trailseeker Series standings.
- Do I need to produce my Licence card at registration if I entered online?
No, all entries on the online entry list have already had their Licences checked so they don’t need to produce Licence cards.
- Do Junior and Elite participants need to produce Licence cards if they do late entries on the day?
Yes, Junior and Elite late entries need to produce their Racing Licences or Digi Card on their phone.
- Do Junior and Elite Participants need their UCI ID number?
Yes. Come prepared with your UCI ID number.
- Is there an under 23 Category in (XCM) Marathon racing?
No, only in Cross Country (XCO)
- How do I get a Cycling SA Membership and/or a Racing Licence?
You can go online and buy a membership and/or a Racing Licence through the Cycling SA website but the cut-off time for late entries is 1 July 2018 – www.cyclingsa.com
10 August 2017:
18 July 2017:
XCM 2017 Results
Please see the results section of the website where we have posted the 2017 WP XCM Series Log, so far. Well done to all.
If your name is not on the list it could be either because you haven’t registered for the series, or you are on the Winelands Log. The Winelands Log will be posted on the Winelands FB page and is available from Zanne Parsons ([email protected]).
To encourage riders to participate in the WP or Winelands Series, we have extended the cut-off for the registration until the 30th September 2017. If you wish to register or have any queries, please send an email to [email protected] so that we can assist.
2016 WP and WC MTB XCM Colours Ceremony
The Western Province Mountain Bike Commission will be awarding Western Province and Western Cape colours to all the marathon (XCM) racing recipients for 2016. Come and join us as we celebrate the champions of 2016 at Westerford High School in Rondebosch in the Noel Taylor hall on the 6th of March 2017.
If you have not seen the recipient list we posted on Facebook, or are unsure if you are receiving an award, please feel free to contact us and we will send you the list.
Clothing will be available for sizing and orders will be taken from 19h00 to 20h00 as follows:
– Hoodie with WP or WC Cycling logo embroidered on left chest R270
– Sleeveless windbreaker, full zip, splash proof R400
We can only receive upfront cash payments to secure your clothing order. Please come prepared with enough cash to place your order.
The awards ceremony will commence at 8pm. Cold drinks, Coffee, Tea and some light snacks will be served. We will be finished by 21h30 at the latest. We will be sharing some exciting news about the 2017 XCM series. The hall is large enough, so please be encouraged to invite friends and family to the ceremony.
For More Information, Please contact Digby Webb on Mobile : +27 (0)83 3028814