Western Province (WP) Mountain Bike (MTB) Cross Country Marathon (XCM) Series 2019 and WC MTB XCM Champs 2019
The Western Province Mountain Bike Commission is pleased to announce the details of the 2019 Western Province MTB XCM Series. These events will also be the basis of qualification for Western Province MTB Cross Country Marathon Colours.
Western Province (WP) Regional XCM Series:
The following four events will form part of the officical WP Regional XCM Series:
- 6th July: WP XCM #1 = Nissan Trailseeker #3 Hermanus
- 17th August: WP XCM #2 = Nissan Trailseeker #4 Wellington
- 31st August: WP XCM #3 = Thys Du Toit Memorial Hopefield MTB Challenge
- 7th September: WP XCM #4 = Fedhealth MTB Boschendal
Western Cape XCM Championship’s:
- 31st August: Thys Du Toit Memorial Hopefield MTB Challenge
Register for the Series if you answer YES to any of the following questions:
- Do you take your marathon cycling seriously?
- Do you want to know where you stand in relation to other Western Cape Cyclists?
- Do you want to know where you stand in relation to your age group?
- Do you want to earn Regional XCM Colours?
- Do you want to earn Provincial XCM Colours?
Please note the WP XCM series will only have one prize giving at the Western Province awards evening that is held at the end of the year. (i.e. no awards ceremony for WP series riders post every series race, only the events prize giving will take place)
Register by 30 June 2019 to be included in the XCM Series Log
Detailed information on each race can be found on the event organiser’s websites:
- Race 1 & 2: Nissan Trailseeker Series
- Race 3 and WC Champs: Thys Du Toit Memorial Hopefield MTB Challenge
- Race 4: Fedhealth MTB Challenge
WP XCM Regional Series Log
WP Regional Series Points System:
Series three best results of four or more events to count
- Top twenty positions per category to be given points
- For regional colours we apply the UCI MTB points system to each race
- A win receives 200, and then it goes down on a sliding scale 170, 150, 135, 125, 120, 115, 110, 105, 100, 96, 92, 88, 84, 80, 76, 72, 68, 64, 60
- Each rider’s top three result points are then added together
Qualification for regional colours through the WP Regional Series Log:
- Less than five participants per category – only first place qualifies
- Less than ten participants per category – only first and second to qualify
- Ten and greater than ten participants per category – top three to qualify
Qualification for Regional Colours through the Western Cape Provincial Champs: Thys du Toit Memorial Hopefield MTB Challenge on 31st August 2019 in Hopefield, West Coast.
- Individuals finishing in first (1st), second (2nd) or third (3rd) place at the Western Cape XCM Championships who have not qualified through the WP regional XCM series will qualify for Western Province XCM Colours only in the event that the race has a minimum of five participants. Participation in at least one WP/Cape Winelands XCM Series race is a pre-requisite.
- Individuals finishing in first (1st) place at the Western Cape XCM Championships who have not qualified through the WP XCM Series will qualify for Western Province XCM Colours only in the event that the race has fewer than five participants. Participation in at least one WP XCM Series race is a pre-requisite.
Qualification for Regional Colours through the SA National Champs: Nissan Trailseeker MTB series #2 Buffelsdrift SA XCM Marathon Championships 2019 on the 29th June 2019:
Individuals finishing in first (1st), second (2nd) or third (3rd) place at the SA National XCM Championships who have not qualified through the first five (5) criteria will qualify for WP/Cape Winelands XCM Colours only in the event that the race has a minimum of five participants.
- Individuals finishing in first (1st) place at the SA National XCM Championships who have not qualified through the first six (6) criteria will qualify for WP/Cape Winelands XCM Colours only in the event that the race has fewer than five participants.
Cyclists are advised to send their provincial XCM champs and national XCM champs results if it is applicable. Please email it to [email protected].
Should any objection be raised as to the inclusion of a rider not included during an evaluation of the parameters above, the final decision by exception rests with the EXCO.
Please note the following:
- No individual can qualify for regional colours without a Cycling South Africa (CSA) license. Juniors and Elites are required to have domestic racing licenses.
- Any rider who wishes to be illegible for colours will be required to register for the XCM Series by 30 June 2019. REGISTER HERE (Button to click again)
- Please use the same name spelling to enter events and to register for the Series Log. Please ensure that your ID number is correct on all entry sites to ensure that we can gather event results into the Series Log.
- Colours are not awarded at any of the events.
- Colours will be awarded at a specific awards ceremony after the final results have been obtained and calculated.
- No rider under 19 may compete in the Full marathon race as per Cycling South Africa (CSA) rules.
- Parents are encouraged not to ride with children U/10 (Nippers) and U/12 (Sprogs) that have registered for the series and interfere in any way with the race outcome. There will be 2-3 marshals riding with these two age categories. Not all riders have parents that participate, and we are trying to create an environment that encourages fairness and growth. These marshals will assist the riders with technical problems with their bicycles en route.
- If a parent is found assisting a rider in any way that influences the result outcome, that rider will be reported to the Chief Commissaire (Race Referee).
- Parents may not ride with children U/14 (Sub-Juniors) and upwards that have registered for the XCM Series under any circumstances.
- Any rider who considers he/she has been prejudiced by any action during the competition may submit a protest to the Chief Commissaire after he/she has crossed the finish line. The rider must submit the protest in writing and it must be signed and presented within 15 minutes of the end of his/her race along with the minimum fee of R200 to the Chief Commissaire.
- Please make sure that you enter for the correct distance as per your age category. See the schedule below:
The Age Categories and Distances are as Follows:
|Category Codes||Year Born||Boys/Men Code||Girls/Women
|Nipper Boys and Girls (8 -10)||2011 – 2009||NB||NG||11 – 25km||Half Marathon Short|
|Sprog Boys and Girls (11-12)||2008 – 2007||SB||SG||11 – 25km||Half Marathon Short|
|Sub Junior Boys and Girls (13-14)||2006 – 2005||SJB||SJG||11 – 35km||Half Marathon Short|
|Youth Boys and Girls (15-16)||2005 – 2003||YB||YG||36 – 60km||Half Marathon Long|
|Junior Boys and Girls (17-18)||2002 – 2001||JB||JG||36 – 60km||Half Marathon Long|
|Elite Men and Women(19+)||2000 – 1990||EM||EW||61 – 80km||Full Marathon|
|Sub Vet Men and Women (30-39)||1989 – 1980||SVM||SVW||61 – 80km||Full Marathon|
|Veteran Men and Women (40-49)||1979 – 1970||VM||VW||61 – 80km||Full Marathon|
|Master Men(50-59)||1969 – 1960||MM||61 – 80km||Full Marathon|
|Master Women (50-59)||1969 – 1960||MW||26 – 60km||Half Marathon Long|
|Grand Master Men and Women (60+)||1959 – <||GMM||GMW||36 – 60km||Half Marathon Long|
Should you have any queries, please email [email protected]b.co.za.