The marathon (XCM) series is off to a great start with two races done and everybody is looking forward to the WC XCM Champs in Ladismith. Please note: You need to qualify for WP Colours (last race is on 19 November 2016) and then if you are on the podium at the WC Champs, you will qualify for WC Colours (but it also depends on the number of participants that finish the WC Champs per category). You need to do 3 of the 4 WP marathon races to qualify for WP colours.
Western Province Cross Country Marathon Series 2016
The Western Province Mountain Bike Commission is pleased to announce that the Nissan Trailseeker Western Cape Series will form the basis of the official Western Province Cross Country Marathon Series. Please find the relevant information on their website: http://www.trailseekerseries.co.za/ It will also be the sole basis of qualification for the Western Province (Regional) Cross Country Marathon Colours. Details of the four part series is as follows:
Nissan Trailseeker WC #1: 7 May at Boschendal in Groot Drakenstein Nissan Trailseeker WC #2: 25 June at Elgin Grabouw Country Club
- Nissan Trailseeker WC #3: 8 October at Sumaridge Estate Wines in Hemel and Aarde
- Nissan Trailseeker WC #4: 19 November at Bosman Wines in Wellington
The Colours Qualification Criteria are as follows: 1. Three best results of four to count 2. Top twenty positions per category to be given points 3. Less than five participants per category – only first place qualifies 4. Less than ten participants per category – only first and second to qualify 5. Ten and greater than ten participants per category – top three to qualify No individual can qualify for Western Province XCM Colours without a Cycling South Africa (CSA) license.
The categories are as follows: 1. Nippers, Sprogs and Sub-Juniors – 20km 2. Youth, Juniors, Master Women, Grand Master Women and Grand Master Men – 40km 3. Elite, Sub-Veteran Men and Women, Veteran Men and Women and Master Men – 70km
Please take note of the following: Parents may ride with children U/10 (Nippers) and U/12 (Sprogs) but must remain behind the child at all times and not interfere with other riders. Parents may not ride with children U/14 (Sub-Juniors) and upwards under any circumstances. Transgressions may be reported to race officials on the day or to the WP MTB Commission. Transgressions will result in the qualifying rider being disqualified from the series.
Please find the relevant information on the Nissan Trailseeker website: http://www.trailseekerseries.co.za/ “The series is targeted at the young, the novice and the family but also for the experienced rider. The routes are aimed to be fun and friendly, no technical and specialised bits that only the pro’s can ride. The series caters for those looking to get into mountain biking as a sport, the weekend riders and the family conscious. But with great TV coverage, good prize money with provincial points up for grabs, the serious riders are drawn in to compete into a festival of mountain biking.”
Western Cape Cross Country Marathon Championships 2016
The Western Cape Cross Country Marathon (XCM) Championships 2016 will be hosted by Dryland at the Ladismith Cheese 7Weekspoort Mountain Bike Challenge on 1 October 2016. The Start Venue is the Amalienstein Packing shed in Amalienstein and the Finish Venue is the Ladismith High School in Ladismith. Please find the relevant information on the website: http://www.7weekspoortmtb.co.za/.
“The Ladismith Cheese 7weekspoort MTB Challenge, in the spectacular landscape of the title town, and its neighbouring missionary villages in the Klein Karoo, is a real classic. Riders will experience the raw scenic majesty of the poort itself – a riot underscored by a botanical circus – on a ride paced to make you know you’ve had your physical moneys-worth in addition to the almost overwhelming scenic value. Convenient, accessible and comfortable… One of South Africa’s greatest one-dayers!” (Excerpt from the website)
The Western Cape XCM Championships 2016 Categories are as follows:
- Nippers, Sprogs and Sub-Juniors – 26km
- Youth, Juniors, Master Women, Grand Master Women and Grand Master Men – 40km
- Elite, Sub-Veteran Men and Women, Veteran Men and Women and Master Men – 82km
Please take note of the following:
- No rider under 19 may compete in the 82km race as per Cycling South Africa (CSA) rules.
- Parents may ride with children U/10 (Nippers) and U/12 (Sprogs) but must remain behind the child at all times and not interfere with other riders.
- Parents may not ride with children U/14 (Sub-Juniors) and upwards under any circumstances.
- Transgressions may be reported to race officials on the day.
- Transgressions will result in the qualifying rider being disqualified from the race.
How to qualify for Provincial XCM Colours:
- No individual can qualify for Western Cape XCM Colours without a CSA license (Elite and Junior) or CSA membership (All other categories).
- It should be noted that Provincial Colours can only be attained once an individual has received Regional Colours. Each of the regions should organise their own regional marathon mountain biking series.
- This means that, if an individual has received his Regional Colours and has come in the top three of his/her category at 7Weekspoort, he/she will receive Western Cape Colours.
- No colours are awarded at the Ladismith Cheese 7Weekspoort Mountain Bike Challenge/Western Cape XCM Championships 2016 because some of the regional series’ are not complete yet. This is the reason why only medals will be awarded and not certificates on the day of the Championships.